Tuesday, September 9, 2014

August: Cuba, Crochet, and birthday


It has been more than a month since my last post, August took us by surprise, it is always like that, maybe it has to do with the end of summer vacation, and our annual trip to Cuba, or the fact that is my birthday month…
 
Well, let ‘start at the beginning, (or almost)  Saturday August 2nd , 4:30 am Miami International Airport, our flight gets delayed 14 hours and arrives to Holguin, Cuba at 11:00pm, a couple of hours later we arrive at my in-laws in Velasco, after an hour long treacherous car ride with the richest taxi cab driver of Holguin (he owns a three story house, with a pull table on the second floor and a pool on the third…we don’t know his name but he takes us to his house at 1:00am in the morning to get diesel…we think we are getting robbed  and get ready to scream and throw stones at him…all of this with my 9 year old daughter and 15 year old son in the back sit. We get the diesel and we are on the road again, but not for long, we stop again at a gas station next to a liquor store flooding with patrons typical of that hour and place…we get ready again, Nestor steps out of the car and we try to guess who is the taxi cab driver talking to, is he planning where he will take us next? Why aren’t we driving to my in laws, is this the end of the road…literally…an hour later we are home, safe and sound, with our family waiting for us, no one went home, cousins, aunts and uncles, all stayed, camped out at my in-laws waiting for our arrival…what a nice surprise!!

 

 

In Holguin everything has a different pace, slower much slower, Sunday went by in a wink with many visitors, all sorts of family and friends, on Monday we visited la loma de la cruz or the mountain of the cross in Holguin city, 476 steps, very steep steps, very nice view of the city, just don’t do the climb at noon…like we did…it was scorching hot… by Tuesday we were in Guardalavaca, a beach area an hour and a half away from Velasco. We stayed at Brisas Guardalavaca, an all-inclusive resort with all the amenities we are so used to, hot water, air conditioned, cable tv, etc.

Overall a very nice visit, Maria and Mando are in relatively good health, Paola had a blast spending time with her cousins, Nesty was a little bored but got to spend time with his grandparents.

And I got to add more shells to my collection!!!


 



I got some time to crochet, I made a hair band for Leyanit, and one for Jesica, and flowers !!! purple crochet flowers…in these amazing shades of purple, violet, lilac, oh I love the colors !!!

After Cuba, came the end of vacation and the first day of school…I can’t  believe it, we are back in school…

 Finally, my birthday, let’s just say I am very blessed with a wonderful group of friends, I felt very special and loved receiving all their warm wishes of a happy birthday. I thank God for another birthday, for another chance to do things better

Note for travelers, I was able to pass my metal crochet without any issues through US Security screening, I enjoyed crocheting at the airport while we waited for the plane. It is funny how people look at you, like you are performing an inconceivable and archaic trade, something  reserved for grandmothers from a different century..jajaja…maybe someday not that far away, more people will benefit from this occupational therapy that makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy J




No comments:

Post a Comment