Tuesday, July 26, 2016

UCF Crochet Blanket



It wasn’t until very recently that I truly understood the saying “los hijos son prestados” – “your children don’t belong to you”. My eldest is leaving home for college on August 19th and I cannot begin to describe the journey it has been for my husband and I to let go and to understand that it is ok, that it will be for his own good, that he will mature and become the man we have raised all these years. 

Back in March, and as part of this journey, I started a crochet blanket with the colors of UCF, University of Central Florida, gold and black. It took me more than 4 months to complete, but it is finally done. This is by far the largest project I have ever embarked and I am glad it was for him. As the blanket grew, I used it to cover me and keep me warm while crocheting, secretly hoping that every stitch carries all my love for him…. 

Materials and stats:

The pattern is from the talented and generous Lucy from Attic 24, you can find easy to follow instructions on her website under Neat Ripple pattern.


 She even provides instructions on how to make the border. For the border I simply crochet 3 sides with single stitches. 
Initial chain: Starting with black yarn, 199 chains (14x14 + 3) (It should be in multiples of 14, plus an extra 3 added on for turning)
Total number of rows: 84 rows
Each color section is made of 9 rows of the same color with the exception of the last gold section with only 3 rows.
Gold Yarn: 3 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver (7 oz / 198 g) Gold
Black Yarn: 5 skeins of Red Heart Soft ( 5 oz / 141 g) Black
Border: single stitch around 3 sides of blanket (I did not crochet the bottom side of the blanket since it was already black)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment